Monday, May 18, 2009

A Cut Above

Well, I got together with the girls tonight to work on projects. Lauren has been working on a skirt, but she's planning to take a break from the fashion world to make a quilt for her mother. She is hoping to have it complete before she gets out of school July 10th so she can take it home when she goes to visit. For her, tonight was all about flipping through magazines and patterns for color inspiration.

Angie was a cutting champ tonight. We planned the basic layout of her quilt and calculated the number of rectangles she will need. I then taught her to square off her fabric and use the rotary cutter to cut multiple rectangles at once. She got through just over half of her fabric and cut 160 rectangles. Here's a sampling of what her quilt will be, but it is missing most of the bright fabrics, so it's not quite a good feel for how the quilt will look as a whole just yet.



We are hoping to get together again this weekend to keep going and hopefully I'll be able to make a better post with a more comprehensive picture once all of the fabric is cut!

For me, I sewed about two more rounds onto my basket, but was mostly teaching and chatting tonight, so I don't have much to show for it yet!

No comments: